Blore, or Blore-Roy (St. Bartholomew)
BLORE, or Blore-Roy (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford; containing 333 inhabitants, of whom 273 are in the township of Blore with Swainscoe, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Ashbourn. This place is chiefly remarkable as the site of the ancient baronial mansion of the illustrious family of Bassett; the building was standing in 1662, but the site is now occupied by a farmhouse. The parish comprises about 1900 acres, mostly grass land, and is bounded on the north by the rivers Manifold and Dove, and intersected by the road from Derby to Manchester: it commands, from its elevated situation, very extensive views; the Wrekin in Shropshire, and the Leicestershire hills, being distinctly visible. There is excellent limestone, which is used for building; and lead-ore, in small quantity, is sometimes found in the limestone rocks. A fair is held for cattle and sheep on the 20th of September. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 8.; net income, £130; patron, Offley Shore, Esq.: the glebe consists of about 40 acres, with a house in the Elizabethan style, built in 1837. The church, erected in the fourteenth century, has a square tower. Through the exertions of the Rev. Hugh Wood, the rector, this edifice, which was much dilapidated, has been entirely restored and beautified, and some rich oak screen-work properly secured. At the upper end of the north aisle, within a kind of chantry chapel, is a noble altar-tomb of statuary marble, supposed to be to the memory of William, the last male heir of the Bassetts, who was living in 1588; there is also a brass, dated 1400, in the aisle. In the churchyard is an ancient yew-tree; likewise a venerable stone cross, restored by the rector. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The children receive instruction at Ilam school, where they are also partly clothed, by Jesse Watts Russell, Esq.