Bidford (St. Lawrence)
BIDFORD (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Alcester, Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Alcester; containing, with the hamlets of Barton, Broom, and Marcliff, 1567 inhabitants. This place is situated on the northern bank of the navigable river Avon, and the river Arrow skirts the parish on the west. It was an ancient demesne of the crown, having been in the possession of Edward the Confessor, and was principally held by the monarchs of the Norman line till the reign of King John, who, towards the latter part of his reign, gave it in dowry to Llewelyn, Prince of North Wales, who had espoused his daughter Joan, and who, in the 4th of Henry III., obtained the grant of a market. The parish comprises 3312 acres, the soil of which is various, but the greater part barley and turnip land: there are some stone-quarries. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 7½.; net income, £313; patron and impropriator, Sir Grey Skipwith, Bart. The tithes have been commuted for land under an inclosure act; the glebe consists of 34 acres.