Ashchurch (St. Nicholas)
ASHCHURCH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Tewkesbury, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Tewkesbury; containing, with the tythings of Aston-upon-Carron, Fiddington with Natton, Northway with Newton, and Pamington, 743 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which was originally Eastchurch, from its relative situation to the church of Tewkesbury, is on the road from Tewkesbury to Stow, and comprises by computation 3150 acres. A station on the Birmingham and Gloucester railway is situated close to the village. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £48; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Askew. The tithes were partially commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1811; the glebe consists of about 25 acres. The church is a handsome edifice, chiefly in the English style, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles; the south entrance is by a Norman porch of elegant design. Mrs. Smithsend bequeathed £400, appropriating £7. 7. per annum to the Sunday school, and the remainder to the purchasing of blankets for distribution annually among the poor. A spring resembling the Cheltenham waters was discovered a few years since.