Sulby, Isle of Man

Historical Description

Sulby, a village, a chapelry, and a river in the Isle of Man. The village stands on the river, 4 miles W of Ramsey, and has a post office under Douglas. The chapelry is in Kirk Lezayre parish, but has no defined limits. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Sodor and Man; net value, £130. Patron, the Bishop. The river rises among the loftiest mountains of the island, runs 6 miles northward to Sulby village and thence eastward to the sea at Ramsey, and is noted for the picturesqueness of its glen and for a fine waterfall.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5