Sodor and Man, Isle of Man

Historical Description

Sodor and Man, an insular diocese, originally and now comprehending only the Isle of Man, but for a long period subsequent to 838 comprehending also about thirty of the Hebridean islands, called the Sudoer, Sudereys, or Southern Islands. Its first bishop, according to ordinarily-received history, was St German, appointed in 447; and among its other bishops have been-John, accidentally burnt to death; Salisbury, the translator of the Bible into Welsh; Phillips, the translator of the Prayer Book into Manx; Rutter, noted for defence of Latham House; Barrow, the founder of King William's College; Wilson, whose memory appears to be highly revered among Manxmen; Hildesley, the translator of the Bible into Manx; and Lord Auckland, afterwards bishop of Bath and Wells. The bishop's residence is Bishop's Court, Isle of Man, and his income is £2000 gross. The cathedral stands at Peel, but is in a state of ruin. The diocese forms one archdeaconry, and contains three rectories, twenty vicarages, five chapelries, and two Government chaplaincies. The diocese possesses its own convocation, which by Act of Tignwald has to meet yearly. It forms part of the province of York, and the clergy are represented by a proctor at the northern convocation, but are not, by strict law, bound by the English Act of Uniformity.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5