Port St Mary, Isle of Man

Historical Description

Port St Mary, a village in Kirk Rushen parish, Isle of Man, on the W side of Poolvash Bay, 4 ½ miles W of Castletown. It was originally called Purt-noo-Moirrey, is now sometimes called Port-le-Murray; has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O), several good hotels, two banks, a school-house (used as a chapel of ease), and a small harbour, dry at low water, and carries on extensive fishing. A pier has been erected, alongside which large steamers may lie. There are three lighthouses-one on the pierhead, one on the hill (W side of the port), and one at the end of breakwater at the point.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Maps

Online maps of Port St Mary are available from a number of sites: