Port Erin or Port Iron, Isle of Man

Historical Description

Port Erin or Port Iron, a village in Kirk Rushen parish, Isle of Man, on a small bay, 1 mile SE of Brada Head, and 4 ½ miles W by N of Castletown. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.), and is the terminus of the railway from Douglas to the south. There are several good hotels and boarding-houses, and a fine sandy beach for bathing. The inhabitants are largely engaged in fishing. The number of visitors in summer is rapidly increasing. There is a lighthouse, with a fixed red light, on The E part of the shore.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5