Kirk Patrick, Isle of Man

Historical Description

Kirk Patrick, a parish in the W of the Isle of Man, on the coast, from the southern vicinity of Peel to Cronk-na-Iray-Lhaa Mountain. Its post town is Peel. Acreage, 10, 634; population, 2228. ''Con-in's Hill, on the coast near Peel, has an altitude of 675 feet, and is crowned by a tower called Corrin's Folly, which was built by an eccentric farmer as a mausoleum for himself, and which serves as an excellent landmark throughout much of the sea to the W of the island. Slieu Whallin Mountain, 2 ½ miles inland, has an altitude of 1036 feet; and Cronk-na-Iray-Lhaa, on the southern boundary, of 1445 feet. Another eminence, near the coast, adjacent to Dalby, is 984 feet high. Glen Bushen winds round that eminence, has mines in its upper part, and contains a waterfall near the sea. Another waterfall is-at Hamilton, under the SE side of Slieu-Whallin, and mines are at Foxdale. Slate also is quarried, and fisheries are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sodor and Man; net value, £161 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church stands 1 ½ mile S by E of Peel, and was built in 1715. The parish, for some time prior to that date, had been united to Kirk German.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5