Ballaugh, or Kirk Ballaugh, Isle of Man

Historical Description

Ballaugh, or Kirk-Ballaugh, a village and a parish in the Isle of Man. The village stands on the W coast, 7 miles W of Ramsey; is watered by a small stream descending from Snawfell; straggles upward from the shore over a space of nearly 2 miles ; and has a post office under Douglas. The parish includes Ballamoor, and has marl-pits and several warrens. Bones and horns of the great Irish elk have been found in the marl-pits, and a skeleton of one was sent hence to the Hunterian Museum at the University of Glasgow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sodor and Man. Patron, the Crown. The old church stands on the shore, and has been restored; and a beautifully carved Runic cross is in the churchyard. A new church, built in the early part of the nineteenth century, stands fully a mile up the streamlet.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.