Ballynure, co. Wicklow
BALLYNURE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Dunlavin, on the road from Baltinglass to Ballitore , containing 1874 inhabitants. It comprises 6932 statute acres, nearly all arable land; the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture improving. There is neither bog nor waste land; fuel is consequently scarce, and the inhabitants are supplied only from the bog of Narraghmore, which is five miles distant. Ballynure, the seat of H. Carroll, Esq., is an elegant mansion situated in a rich demesne. Grange-Con, formerly the grange of the abbey of Baltinglass (which, together with this estate, was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Sir J. Harrington), was till lately the residence of H. Harrington, Esq., who erected two spacious galleries for the reception of paintings and curiosities, of which he was an indefatigable collector. The other seats are Knockrigg, the residence of J. Wall, Esq.; Bessina, of H. Harrington Wall, Esq.; Barronstown, of J. Wilson, Esq.; and Griffinstown, of W. Cooke, Esq. A constabulary police force has been stationed at the small village of Bumboa Hall. It is a rectory, annexed to that of Baltinglass, in the diocese of Leighlin : the tithes amount to £300. The church, a small neat edifice with a square tower crowned with pinnacles, was erected, by aid of a gift of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814. In the R. C. divisions also it is included in the union or district of Baltinglass; the chapel is at Bumboa Hall, and adjoining it is a school of 84 boys and 50 girls. In the grounds of Grange-Con are the remains of an ancient castle; there are a rath and an ancient cemetery on the grounds of Knockrigg, and several other raths in different parts of the parish.