Golden, Tipperary

Historical Description

GOLDEN, a village and post-town, in the parish of RELICKMURRY, barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3½ miles (W.) from Cashel (to which it has a sub-post-office), and 82 (S.) from Dublin, on the road from Cashel to Tipperary; containing 114 houses and 648 inhabitants. It is a neat and improving village, situated in what is called "the Golden Vale," and is divided into two parts by the river Suir, over which is a stone bridge, on which King William signed the charter of Cashel; and near it is an old circular stone tower. Here are flour and oatmeal-mills, and a constabulary police station; fairs are held on May 18th, Aug. 26th, Oct. 26th, and Dec. 15th, and petty sessions once a fortnight. The parochial church was erected here in 1808, and a tower was added by aid of a loan of £700 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1812. There is also a large R. C. chapel. -See RELICKMURRY.

Transcribed from Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.