Province of Munster

This is the largest of the four provinces, and occupies the south-western portion of the kingdom. It has Connaught on the north, the boundary marked by an irregular line from Galway Bay, through the Sleibh Baughta to the Shannon; Leinster, which is on the north-east, is parted from it by another imaginary and uneven line, commencing at the Shannon, five miles south-west of Banagher, and stretching south-south-east to Carrick-on-Suir, whence the river Suir distinguishes its limits to the sea; the other part is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean. The greatest length of the province westward, from Credan Head in Waterford Harbour, to Dunmore Head, at the extremity of Corkaquiney peninsula, is 143 miles; its greatest breadth southward, in a straight line from Black Head on Galway Bay to the east side of the Baltimore Harbour, is 131 miles; its greatest breadth south-eastward, from Black Head to Ballycotton Head, is 106 miles; its length westward, in a direct line over Seariff to the head of Lisacnor Bay, is 54 miles; its least breadth southward, across nearly the eastern extremity of Waterford county, does not exceed five miles; and its least breadth southward, across the main body to the indentation of Youghal Harbour, is 62 miles. These measurements are given in English miles, and are exclusive of Islands. The area of the whole province comprises 3,874,613 acres of arable land, 1,893,477 of uncultivated land, 130,415 of plantations, 14,693 of towns, and 151,381 of water; in all 6,064,579 statute acres. This province comprises the counties of Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford; these are divided into seventy-four baronies and four ridings, and sub-divided into eight hundred and twenty-eight parishes.

Transcribed from Slater's National Commercial Directory of Ireland, 1846