A parish in the Archdeaconry of Dorset and Diocese of Bristol, 3 1/4 miles N.E. of Axminster, that had 886 inhabitants in 1831. Hawkchurch was in Dorset until transferred to the county of Devon in 1896.
There are copies of the registers (christenings 1663-1851, marriages 1813-1864, and burials 1663-1851) at the Dorset Record Office, and the Society of Genealogists.
Ballinger, L.E.C. Hawkchurch Parish Register Devon Family Historian 40 (1986) p.9.
Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts). "Marriages at Hawkchurch, 1664-1812", In Dorset parish registers, vol. 2. London: Phillimore & Co., 1907 (Phillimore's parish register series, vol. 67), pp. 73-91.
Hawkchurch Marriages, 1813-1837. [Devon]: Devon Family History Society.
Banfield, Jack. Hawkchurch "the village of roses": the story of a West Country village, where Dorset meets Devon ... Hawkchurch: Harry Austin (1996) 108p: ill,maps,ports. [Westcountry Studies Library - sxB/HAW/0001/BAN]
Banfield, Jack and Austin, Harry. Where Dorset Meets Devon: Hawkchurch, The Story of the Village of Roses, from the Begining of time to the Dawn of the Second Millenium (second, expanded, Millenium edition), Tilworth Farm, Hawkchurch, EX13 5UB, Hawkchurch History Society (2000).
Pulman, George P.R. The Book of the Axe. Bath: Kingsmead Reprints (1969) pp. 531 et seq. (Reprint of 3rd edition, 1875.) [Lookups]