COOMBE-KEYNES (HOLY ROOD), a parish, in the union of WAREHAM and PURBECK, hundred of WINFRITH, Wareham division of DORSET, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Wareham, containing 135 inhabitants. The village appears, from numerous old foundations and traces of the sites of gardens, to have been originally of greater extent, and is supposed to have dwindled into its present state of a few inconsiderable cottages, from the want of a supply of water. Sandstone of very inferior quality is dug on the heath land for fences. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's buoks at £13. 18. 11½., and in the gift of J. Weld, Esq., the impropriator: the great tithes have been commuted for £201. 15., and the vicarial for £110. The church is partly early English, and partly of later date.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Coombe Keynes (Holy Rood) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Coombe Keynes:
Baptisms: 1585-1736, 17441811, 1813-1973 Marriages: 1583-1654, 16631714, 1746-1975 Burials: 1586-1686, 1695 1698, 1714-1722, 1729, 1733, 1747 1810 (DHC Ref: PE/WOO part of Wool parish)
- A description of Coombe Keynes from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site