CHETTLE (ST. MARY), a parish, in the union of WIMBORNE and CRANBORNE, hundred of MONCKTON-UP-WIMBORNE, Wimborne division of DORSET, 6 miles (N. E.) from Blandford, containing 122 inhabitants. It is situated within a mile of the road from Exeter to London, through Blandford and Salisbury, and comprises 1113a. 3r. 25p., with a level surface and chalky soil. A stately mansion, in the style of Sir John Vanbrugh, and probably the old manor-house, is in tolerable preservation. The manor and whole parish, with the mansion, and also the advowson of the church, were sold in 1846 to Edward Castleman, Esq., for £24,400. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 2. 9. : the tithes have been commuted for £180, and the glebe contains about 21 acres; The church is partly in the early and partly in the later English style, and has a very ancient and handsomely carved pulpit. There is a large tumulus or barrow, which, from its extent, is called the "Giant's grave."
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Chettle (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Chettle:
Baptisms: ?1539-1812 Marriages: 1539-1746, 1753 1931 Burials: 1539-1814 (DHC Ref: PE/CHT)
- A description of Chettle from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site