Darfield, a township and a parish in the W. R. Yorkshire. The township stands on the slope of a hill, near the river Dearne and the Dearne and Dove Canal, and has a station on the M.R., 5 miles ESE of Bamsley. It has a post and money order office under Barnsley; telegraph office, "Wombwell. Acreage, 2017; population, 3416. The township includes also the village of Mill House, and the hamlets of Edwardthorpe and Tyers Hill. The parish contains likewise the townships of Billingley, Great Houghton, and Little Houghton. Population, 4519. The Darfield Main and Houghton Main collieries are in this parish. The living is twofold, a rectory and a vicarage, in the diocese of York; value of the rectory, £919; of the vicarage, £430. Patrons of the vicarage, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is Early English, restored in 1849. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and four almshouses.
Darfield, West Riding