Bracewell, West Riding

Description
Bracewell, a parish in the W. R. Yorkshire, adjacent to the Liverpool and Leeds Canal, 3 miles from Thornton railway station, and 9 WSW of Skipton, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Barnoldswick. Acreage, 2025 ; population, 130. An old house here was a retreat of Henry VI. after the battle of Hesham. Limestone is worked. The living is a discharged vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £150 with residence. The church is very good, and contains several monuments to the Tempests and others.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5