Bainbridge, a village and a township in Aysgarth parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ure, 1 1/2 mile SW of Askrigg, and has a post office under Bedale; money order and telegraph office, Askrigg. Here are a three-arched bridge, two dissenting chapels, a Friends' meeting house, an endowed grammar-school, founded in 1601, and the Aysgarth Union Workhouse. There is also a good inn, dating from the fifteenth century. Here was the Roman station Bracchinm. Traces of the rampart of the Roman camp, enclosing an area of about 5 acres, may be seen on the In-Brough in the vicinity. As well as the winter camp on In-Brough, there are also evident traces of the summer camp on the high hill called Adlebrough. Some substructions of buildings occur at the foot of the same hill, and a statue of the Emperor Commodus was found in the neighbourhood. An ancient custom of blowing a forest liom at ten o'clock every night from 27th September to Shrovetide, for the benefit of travellers crossing the fells, is still kept up. The ancient stocks still stand on the village green. The township includes also the hamlets of Cubeck, Worton, Countersett, Marsett, Carr-End, Raydale, Stalling-Busk, High and Low Blean. Acreage, 15,306 of land and 128 of water; population, 595.
Bainbridge, North Riding