Marden or Merton, a village and a parish in Wiltshire. The village stands on the river Avon, 2 miles SW of Wood-borough station on the G.W.R., and 6 ESE of Devizes, and has a post office, of the name of Marden, under Devizes; money order and telegraph office, Woodborough. The parish comprises 1286 acres; population, 188. Two remarkable tumuli formerly were in the neighbourhood, 24.0 feet in circuit and 40 high, and are supposed by some writers to mark the scene of Etheldred's defeat by the Danes in 871; but whether they were sepulchral barrows or the earthwork of an ancient British temple is an open question. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £120. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is ancient, has two Norman arches and an embattled tower, and is finely ornate both without and within; the tower was rebuilt in 1885 and the nave restored in 1894. There is a Baptist chapel.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Marden 1693-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: