Hilperton or Hilprington, a village and a parish in Wiltshire. The village stands near the Kennet and Avon Canal, 1 ½ mile NNE of Trowbridge station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Trowbridge. Acreage of the civil parish, 1202; population, 1011; of the ecclesiastical, 1029. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Whaddon, in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £300 with residence. The church is good, and has an ancient tower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. A chapel of ease was built in 1889 at the junction of St Mary and Wyke roads.
The parish register dates from the year 1694.
Church of England
St. Mary's-in-the-Marsh, a chapel of ease to St. Michael, Hilperton, erected in Oct. 1889, is a plain building, consisting of a chancel built of flint and a nave of iron, and has sittings for 100 persons.
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is a plain building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel and nave (rebuilt in 1854), south porch, and a 14th century western tower, with spire, and containing a clock and 6 bells: a new vestry and choir stalls were added in 1892: there are four stained windows, and a very ancient Saxon or Early Norman font. The church affords 200 sittings.
Particular Baptist Chapel
The Particular Baptist chapel, built in 1806, had 150 sittings.
The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1819 and re-erected in 1891, had sittings for 300 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: