Langdale (Grasmere), Westmorland
Langdale, a hamlet, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Grasmere parish, Westmorland. The hamlet stands in Great Langdale Vale, 4 miles W by N of Ambleside, 6 from Coniston Lake station on the Furness railway, and 8 NW of Windermere. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the hamlet of Eiter Water, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ambleside, and it comprises the vales of Great Langdale and Little Langdale. Acreage of township, 9511, of which 147 are water; population, 754; of ecclesiastical parish, 770. The Earl of Lonsdale and Lord Muncaster are lords of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value,, £200 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Grasmere. The church stands at Langdale hamlet, is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, uave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. A previous church was in Little Langdale at a place now called Chapel Mire. There are a gunpowder mill and a green slate quarry at Eiter Water, and in 1883 the linen industry was revived in furtherance of the principles enunciated by Ruskin. The Langdale Institute, with reading-room, library, and well-appointed billiard-room, was founded in 1891. There are also a meeting-room for Plymouth Brethren, an endowed school, and a county police station.