Meriden, a village, a parish, and the head of a poor-law union in Warwickshire. The village stands in a valley near the seat and park of the Earl of Aylesford, 2 1/2 miles E of Hampton Junction station on the L. & N.W.R. and M.R., and 5 1/2 WNW of Coventry; was formerly called Alspath, figures in Dugdale's description as " having some good inns for the accommodation of travellers, and grown of late times to the credit of a village, utterly eclipsing its former name ;" presents a very agreeable appearance; retains on a green remains of an aucient cross, which once was regarded as marking the centre of England; and has a workhouse, a police station, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Coventry. The parish comprises 3099 acres; population, including workhouse, 789. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of six members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Aylesford. Meriden Hall belongs to the Digby family. Meriden House is another chief residence. Forest Hall is used by a society of archers, and contains a horn said to have been used by Robin Hood, and many other curiosities. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £175 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Aylesford. The church stands on an eminence, a short distance from the village, is ancient and was restored in 1883, and consists of nave, two aisles, and chancel, with a tower.
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.