Bulkington, a village and a parish in Warwickshire. The village stands near the Coventry Canal, 2 ½ miles E of Bedworth, and 4 SE by S of Nuneaton, and has a station on the Trent Valley section of the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Nuneaton. The parish, which is governed by a local board, includes also the hamlets of Marston-Jabbett, Ryton, Weston-in-Arden, Hollyhurst, and parts of Barnacle and Bramcott. Area of the civil parish, 4892 ; population, 1400 ; area of the urban sanitary district, 4832 acres; population of the urban sanitary district and ecclesiastical parish, 1389. Many of the inhabitants are ribbon weavers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £270 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, erected in the 15th century, formerly belonged to the Abbey of Leicester, and is a fine building with an embattled western tower; it contains a monument of Carrara marble, the work of Richard Haywood, an amateur sculptor, who formerly resided at Weston Hall; also a font, the pedestal of which is a fragment of marble of great antiquity brought from Rome and presented by Mr Haywood. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. At Weston-in-Arden is a Roman Catholic chapel, and at Barnacle and Ryton there are Wesleyan chapels.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.