Patcham, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands on the verge of the South Downs, near a long tunnel of the London and Brighton railway, 3 miles N of Brighton, and 1 ¼ mile from Preston Park station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post office under Brighton; money order and telegraph office, Preston. The parish contains also the hamlets of Moulsecombe, Withdean, and Roedale. Acreage, 4625; population, 1064. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Abergavenny. Patcham Place is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £200 with residence. The church stands conspicuously on a rising-ground, and is Early English and later, with an embattled tower.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Patcham (All Saints) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848