Godstone, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands on Broadmead Water, on the line of a Roman road, under Tilburstow Hill, 8 miles NNW of Godstone station on the S.E.R., 3 SSE of Caterham, 6 1/2 E by N of Reigate, and 20 from London. Post, money order, and telegraph office, Reigate. Acreage of civil parish, 6830; population 2478; of ecclesiastical, 1542. Godstone shows many marks of antiquity, is supposed by some to have got its name with some allusion to the Saxon Woden, by others from excellent quarries of freestone much in request for wet docks and for ovens, is a seat of petty sessions, and has a fair on 22 July. There is a literary institute with a good library. Almshouses were erected in 1874 for eight aged persons. Two small tumuli are on the green in the way to Bletchingly, and two more are in adjoining fields on the N. A pond adjacent and other ponds in the neighbourhood are noted for pike, carp, tench, and perch. Tilburstow Hill on the S is an elevation of the Shanklin Sand, possesses considerable interest for geologists, and commands very fine and extensive views. A chalybeate spring is at the S foot of the hill, and was once in considerable medicinal repute. Remains of an ancient fortification, also a well called Diana, are on Castle Hill, SE of the village. Leigh Place, Book's Nest, Marden Park, and other fine seats are in the neighbourhood. Godstone railway station is surrounded with oaken coppices, and serves for many neighbouring villages. An ancestor of the Evelyn family who purchased. the manor was in his time the only maker of gunpowder in England, and Sir John Evelyn his son built a house here which cost £9000. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; value, £330 with residence. The church was restored and enlarged in 1872, and contains a very fine altar-tomb of Sir John Evelyn. During the process of restoration remains of six Norman arches were found built into the east wall. The perpetual curacy of Blindley Heath and the donative of Felbridge are separate benefices. There is a Baptist chapel.
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.