Sutton, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, on the river Deben, 3 miles SE of Woodbridge station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Woodbridge; money order and telegraph office, Melton. Acreage, 5448; population, 500. There is a parish council of nine members and a chairman. Part of the land is heath. Coprolites are found in large quantities. The manor, with Button Hall, belongs to the Waller family. Wood Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £267 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and S porch. It has an ancient carved stone font and some good stained windows. There is a Baptist chapel.
|Poor Law union||Woodbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Sutton (All Saints) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Sutton are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online: