Wolstanton, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village is 1 1/2 mile N of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and 2 miles WNW of Stoke-upon-Trent. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under Stoke-upon-Trent. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. The parish contains twelve townships, and comprises 10,816 acres; population of the civil parish, 50,885; of the ecclesiastical, 6683. The parish includes also the ecclesiastical parishes of Tunstall, Newchapel, Goldenhill, Knutton, and part of those of Silverdale, Chesterton, Kidsgrove, and Mowcop. Most of the area lies within the tract called the Potteries, and there are numerous porcelain and earthenware factories, many brick and tile yards, and several iron and steel works, engine works, and silk and cotton mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £233 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1869, and contains a piscina, sedilia, and some ancient monuments to the Sneyd family. There is a chapel of ease at Porthill. There are two mission churches, and Free, New Connexion, and Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. See TUNSTALL, KIDSGROVE, &C.