Silverdale, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village, the major portion of which is in Silverdale parish and the rest in Keele parish, stands 2 miles W by N of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and has a station on the Stoke, Newcastle, and Market Drayton branch of the North Staffordshire railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newcastle. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1856. Population, 6098. There are large iron and coal works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Wolstanton. The church was erected in 1853. There is a mission church at Scotbay, There are also Congregational, Free, New Connexion and Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan, and Roman Catholic chapels, and a cemetery.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Silverdale are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)