Leigh, a parish in Staffordshire, on the river Biythe, 5 1/4miles WNW of Uttoxeter. It contains the hamlets of Church Leigh, Lower Leigh, Upper Leigh, Dodsleigh, Painley Hill, Middleton Green, Lower Nobut, Upper Nobut, andWithington, and the township of Field, and has a station on the North Staffordshire railway, and a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent; money order office, Tean; telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 7105; population, 960. Much of the land is in pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £566 with residence. Patron, Lord Bagot. The church, excepting the tower, was -rebuilt in 1846, is cruciform, with central embattled tower, and contains an altar-tomb of 1523 to Sir John and Lady Aston. There are Primitive Methodist chapels at Pole and Middleton Green.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.