Gnosall, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on the river Eowley, adjacent to the Birmingham and Liverpool Canal, 6 ½ miles WSW of Stafford, and has a station on the L. & N.W.R., a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stafford, and fairs on 7 May and 23 Sept. The parish includes the hamlets of Auldmore, Knight-ley, Befcote, Coton, Cowley, Plardiwick, Apeton, Bromstead, Chatwell, Coley, Ootwood, and Wilbrighton, the last five forming the ecclesiastical parish of Moreton. Acreage, 10,007 ; population of the civil parish, 2067 ; of the ecclesiastical, 1518. Knightley Grange and Auldmore House are the chief residences. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the chapelry of Knightley, in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is partly Norman, partly of later dates, and contains an ancient altar-tomb. - There is a chapel of ease at Knightley, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Colon. The vicarage 'of Moreton is a separate benefice.
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Gnosall (St. Lawrence) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Gnosall are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)