Whatley, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 3 miles W of Frome station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Frome; money order office, Nunney; telegraph office, Mells. Acreage, 1391; population of the civil parish, 404; of the ecclesiastical, 198. The manor belonged once to Glastonbury Abbey, and belongs now to the Horner family. Whatley House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £145 with residence. The church is ancient, and has been restored. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The Rev R. W. Church, afterwards Dean of St Paul's, was vicar of Whatley for many years.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.