Pitminster, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands under Black Down Hills, near the boundary with Devonshire, 4 ½ miles from Taunton station on the G.W.R. The parish includes the tithings of Blagdon, Duddlestone, Fulford, Leigh, Pitminster, and Trendle, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Taunton. Acreage, 5355; population, 1262. Barton Grange, Eastbrook House, Canons Grove, Pondisford Park, Pondisford Lodge, Culm-head House, Pitminster Lodge, and Haygrass House are chief residences. There are two mailings and a tannery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £345 with residence. The church is Early English, and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire. There is a Congregational chapel, and also one for the Brethren.
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Pitminster 1542-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Pitminster (St. Andrew and St. Mary) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Pitminster are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.