Hillfarrance, a parish in Somerset, on a branch of th& river Tone, 3 ½ miles NE of Wellington station on the G.W.R., Post town, Taunton. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 396. The manor belonged to William de Vemay of the 14th century, and belongs now to several proprietors. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £110 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Oxford. The church consists of nave, chancel, and S chapel, with porch and tower, and is good. By a Local Government Order of 1884 the parish was for civil purposes amalgamated with Mynehead,. Milverton, and Oak.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hill-Farrance Holy Cross|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Hill Farrance 1701-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hillfarrance from the following:
Online maps of Hillfarrance are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.