Chew Stoke, Somerset
Chew-Stoke, a parish in Somerset, 4 1/2 miles SW of Pensford station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Chew-Magna. Acreage, 2162; population, 653. Limestone and building-stone occur. A small nunnery was founded here by Elizabeth de Santa Cruce. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £202 with residence. The church is ancient, and has been rebuilt with the exception of the tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £80 from endowment. Lord Mayor Champneis was a native.
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.