Backwell, a parish in Somerset, 1 mile SE of Nailsea station on the G.W.R., and 7 WSW of Bristol. It includes the hamlets of Church-Town, Downside, Parley, Mooreside, and West-Town. It has a post and money order office at West-Town; telegraph office, Flax Bourton; railway station, Nailsea. Acreage, 2929 ; population of the civil parish, 956; of the ecclesiastical, 833. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £298 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Bath. The church is good, and has a very fine tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A fair is held on 21st September.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.