Ashbrittle, a parish in Somerset, on the verge of the county, and on the river Tone, 4 miles from Burlescombe station on the G.W.R., and 7 Why S of Wellington, which is the post town; money order office, Ashbrittle; telegraph office, Greenham. Acreage, 2158; population of the civil parish, 247; of the ecclesiastical, 308. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £368. The church is mainly old, partly new. There is a chapel of ease, built in 1860. Greenham, a hamlet about 2 miles from the parish, was amalgamated with Stawley by a Local Government Order in 1884, and at the same time Great and Little Brimley were also annexed to it.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Ashbrittle 1563-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.