Worthen, a village, a township, and a parish in Salop. The village stands 4 ½ miles WSW of Minsterley station on the Shrewsbury and Minsterley branch of the L. & N.W. and G.W. Joint railway, and 12 ½ SW by W of Shrewsbury. It was once a market-town, and has a post and money order office under Shrewsbury; telegraph office, Minsterley. Fairs are held on the last Monday in March, June, Sept., and Nov., and on 2 May. The civil parish contains also Aston Pigot, Aston Rogers, Beechfield, Binweston, Brockton, Bromlow, Hope, Penally, and Walton. Acreage, 13,911; population, 2629. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. The lead mines at the Stiperstones were worked by the Romans. An old encampment, called the Beacon Ring, and several barrows are in the parish. Hampton Hall is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £799 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is ancient. There are a chapel of ease at Kowley, a Baptist chapel at Brockton, and Primitive Methodist chapels at Worthen, Aston Rogers, Meadow Town, and Hope.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Worthen (All Saints) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Worthen are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.