Stokesay, a township and a parish in Salop. The township lies on the river Onny, 7 miles NW of Ludlow. It has a station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Joint (L. & N.W. and G.W.) railway. Post town, Craven Arms (R.S.O.) A cattle fair is held monthly. The parish contains also the townships of Aldun, Newton, Rowton, and Wettleton. Acreage, 3661; population, 942. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor was held by the de Lacys at Domesday, passed to the de Says, the de Ludlows, and the Vernons of Haddon Hall, and subsequently to the Earls of Craven. It belongs now to the Allcroft family. Stokesay Castle is a fine example of a fortified mansion of the 13th century, and has been carefully restored. The building is rectangular, and surrounded by a moat. It comprises a great hall with adjacent apartments, a great tower, and a fine timber gatehouse. It was garrisoned for the king in the Civil War, but surrendered to the Parliamentary forces, and was partly dismantled. A large rectangular earthwork called Norton Camp, is on the brow of a wooded hill to the eastward. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £279 with residence. The church was destroyed in the Civil War, and rebuilt in 1654. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Stokesay (St. John the Baptist) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.