Leighton, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands on the river Severn, under the Wrekin, 2 miles NE of Cressage station on the Severn Valley branch of the G.W.R., and 5 NW of Much Wenlock. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ironbridge (E.S.O.) The parish contains the townships of Leighton and Garm-ston, and, for ecclesiastical purposes, Belswardyne, which is for civil purposes a part of Cressage parish. Acreage, 1712; population of the civil parish, 268; of the ecclesiastical, 302. Leighton Hall is a chief residence. The Wrekin, forming a grand feature, and commanding an extensive view, is on the NE border. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value,, £215. The church is a good brick building, with a wooden tower, and contains a recumbent effigy of a knight in armour, one of the De Leighton family, said to have been brought from Buildwas Abbey at the dissolution.
|Poor Law union||Atcham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Leighton (St. Mary) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Leighton are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.