Ditton Priors, Shropshire

Description
Ditton Priors or Priors Ditton, a township and a parish in Salop, under the Brown Clee Hills, 8 1/2 miles SW by W of Bridgnorth, and 5 1/2 SE of Presthope station on the Wellington, Much Wenlock, and Craven Arms branch of the G.W.R. The parish includes the townships of Middleton Priors and Ashfield-with-Ruthall, and has a post office under Bridgnorth; money order and telegraph office, Burwarton. Acreage, 556P; population, 581. The manor bore anciently the name of Dointon, and belonged to Wenlock Abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £170, derived solely from a glebe of 247 acres. The church is ancient, has a tower and wooden spire, and contains an ancient font and some monuments. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5