Benthall, a parish in Salop, on the right bank of the Severn, near Iron Bridge station on the G.W.R., 1 mile N of Broseley, and 2 1/4 miles E of Much-Wenlock. Post town, Broseley (R.S.O.) Acreage, 843 ; population, 377. Lord Forester is the lord of the manor and sole landowner. Benthall Hall, the ancient seat of the Benthall family, built in 15S5, adjoins the church, and during the Commonwealth was held as a point of great strategic importance. There are several potteries, and also a manufactory of tobacco pipes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £87. Patron, the Vicar of Much-Wenlock. The church, erected in 1667, consists of chancel, nave, and tower, and contains monuments to the Benthall and Browne families.
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.