Tusmore, a parish in Oxfordshire, 6 miles N by W of Bicester station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 E of Somerton station on the Oxford and Birmingham line of the G.W.R. Post town, Bicester; money order and telegraph office, Brackley. Acreage, 735; population of the civil parish, 16; of the ecclesiastical, with Hardwick, 66. The manor belongs to the Earl of Effingham, who is also sole landowner. Tusmore House, a seat of the Earl of Effingham, is a mansion of 1770, standing in a park of about 70 acres. The living is a rectory, annexed to Hardwick; joint net value, £110, in the gift of the Earl of Effingham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bicester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tusmore from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Oxfordshire is available online
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Oxfordshire newspapers online:
- Oxford Journal
- Banbury Advertiser
- Banbury Guardian
- Oxford University and City Herald
- Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette
- Faringdon Advertiser and Vale of the White Horse Gazette
- Oxford Times
- Banbury Beacon
- Ossett Observer
The Visitations of Oxfordshire, 1566, 1574 &1634 are available on the Heraldry page.