Handborough (properly Hanborough; in Domesday Haneberge, " the high hill," a name amply justified by the commanding position of the parish church), a village and a parish in Oxfordshire. The parish is bounded on the N and E by the river Evenlode, has a station on the G.W.R., and is 5 miles SW from Woodstock. It consists of two parts-Church Hanborough, containing the parish church and rectory, with a population of about 200; and Long Hanborough, containing a population of upwards of 800, and stretching some 4 miles along the Woodstock and Witney Road. There is a church, built in 1894, called Christchurch, God's Acre, an old manor house of the 17th century, a post and money order office, under Woodstock, with telegraph office at the railway station; also a Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapel. The parish comprises 2270 acres; population, 1002. The manor belongs to the Duke of Marl-borough, granted to the first Duke by Queen Anne. Selenite is found here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £340 with residence. Patrons, St John's College, Oxford. The church is of different dates, from Norman to Late Perpendicular; has an inner Norman door with a curious sculpture of St Peter, also a good spire 147 feet high, and contains pulpit and font, part of a rood-loft, all of the 15th century, and a brass of Alexander Belsyre, the first president of St John's College.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Handborough St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Witney|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Handborough from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Oxfordshire is available online
The Visitations of Oxfordshire, 1566, 1574 &1634 are available on the Heraldry page.