UK Genealogy Archives logo

Free UK genealogy, heraldry and family history resources online

Adderbury, a village, two townships, and a parish in Oxfordshire. The village stands near the Oxford Canal and the river Cherwell, 3 miles NW of Aynho station on the G.W.R., and 34 S of Banbury, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Banbury. Its church is cruciform, and chiefly Early English and Decorated, with a lofty Decorated spire. The chancel was built by William of Wykeham, and has his arms on the outer wall. The church was thoroughly restored in 1886 at a cost of £3000. The ancient parsonage and the old tithe-barn are adjacent. A Norman castle, and afterwards a palace of the Dukes of Bucclench, stood at Adderbnry. The former is extinct, but the latter has been converted into a modern residence. An impostor, who pretended to be the Saviour, was crucified here in 1219, by order of an Episcopal synod. Wilmot, the witty, profligate Earl of Rochester, took from Adderbury the title of Baron, and lived and died in the mansion near Adderbury Green; and Pope the poet afterwards made a visit there to the great Duke of Argyll, and wrote—

"With no poetic ardour fired, I press the bed where Wilmot lay."

The townships of Adderbury are called East and West. The church, previously described, is in East Adderbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, with the chapelry of Milton annexed; joint net value, £380, in the gift of New College, Oxford. Area of East Adderbury, 2022 acres of land and 86 of water; population, 846. West Adderbury has an area of 1169 acres; population, 331. At Milton there is a chapel of ease, erected in 1866. Area of the hamlet, 810 acres; population, 186. There is a Wesleyan chapel at East Adderbury, and at West Adderbury a Congregational chapel and Friends' meeting-house. Adderbury House, which belonged in succession to the Earl of Rochester and the families of Argyll and Buccleuch, is now the property of the Larnach family. was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Copyright © 2005, UK Genealogy Archives. All rights reserved. Disclaimer