West Burton, Nottinghamshire
Burton, West, a parish in Nottinghamshire, on the river Trent,. 1 ½ mile E of Sturton railway station, and Similes SSW of Gainsborough. Post town, Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Sturton-le-Steeple. Acreage, 852 ; population, 52. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of South Wheatley and vicarage of North Wheatley, in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £480. Lord Middleton is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The church is old, and is no longer used for service.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Burton St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Gainsborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Burton from the following:
Online maps of West Burton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.