Sturton or Sturton le Steeple, Nottinghamshire
Sturton or Sturton-le-Steeple, a parish, with a village and a hamlet, in Notts, on the M.S. & L.R., 6 miles ENE of East Retford. It has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Sturton-le-Steeple, under Lincoln. Acreage, including the hamlet of Fenton, 4033 of land and 37 of water and foreshore; population, 505. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £259 with residence. The church is Norman and Early English, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, porch, and a large tower with pinnacles. There is a Wesleyan chapel erected in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sturton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sturton or Sturton le Steeple from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.