Littleborough, a parish in Notts, on the river Trent, at the boundary with Lincolnshire, 2 miles NNE of Cottam station on the M.S. & L.R., and 8 ½ E by N of East Eetford. Post town, Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Sturton-le-Steeple. Acreage, 345, besides 17 of tidal water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 50 ; of the ecclesiastical parish of Littleborough-with-Cottam, 187. The manor belongs to the Foljambe family. The Roman station Angelocum or Segelocum was here, and Roman altars, ums, coins, and traces of buildings have been found. A notable ferry over the Trent has been here from ancient times. The living is a vicarage, with that of Cottam annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £162. The church is Norman and good.
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Littleborough from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Littleborough are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.