Arnold, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands near Sherwood Forest, 4 miles N of Nottingham, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Its inhabitants are employed chiefly in lace and stocking making. The parish includes also the hamlets of Red Hill and Day-brook, the latter of which has a station on the G.N.R., and the seats of Arno Vale, Arnot Hill, Red Hill Lodge, and Sherwood Lodge. Acreage, 4612; population, 7769. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; value, £180. The church is Early English, and has a tower. There are chapels for Congregationalists, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and four public schools, also a reading room and a free library. R. Bonnington the painter, born in 1801, was a native.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.