Walker, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Northumberland. The township stands on the river Tyne, near the Newcastle and Tynemouth railway, 3 miles E of Newcastle. It carries on iron-founding, shipbuilding, copperas and chemical manufactures, and the shipment of coals, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), two stations on the N.E.R., a church, Wesleyan, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels, a meeting-room for Plymouth Brethren, a mechanics' institute, a public park, an infirmary, and an hospital for infectious diseases, built in 1887-88. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1846. Population, 11,341. The living is a vicarage ia the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £290 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop.