St John Lee, Northumberland
John Lee, St, a civil and an ecclesiastical parish in Northumberland, on the river Tyne, the Border Counties railway, and the Roman wall, immediately N of Hexham. It adjoins Hexham Bridge, in the neighbourhood of Hexham railway station; and contains West Acomb township, with a village called Acomb, 1 ½ mile NNW of that bridge, and also the township of Sandhoe, which includes Anick and Anick Grange, and the ecclesiastical parish of Lee St Oswald with Bingfield. There is post office at Acomb under Hexham; money order and telegraph office, Hexham. Population of the civil parish, 2149; of the ecclesiastical parishes-Lee St John, 1339; Lee St Oswald, 810. There are lead and coalmines in West Acomb township. The living is a rectory, annexed to Stagshawe, in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value,, £142 with residence. The church is in West Acomb township; stands on the wooded brow of an extensive tableau overlooking the Tyne valley; has a fine spire, figuring conspicuously in the beautiful landscape around Hexham; is ancient and small, and occupies the site of an oratory of St John of Beverley, which used to be visited annually by the" monks of Hexham in solemn procession. There are Wes-leyan and Primitive Methodist chapels in West Acomb.